Thursday, December 26, 2013

DIY Christmas Treat 2013

DIY CHRISTMAS TREAT 2013
by: Jelia Megawati Heru



I couldn't believe it, it's already end of year again. This year for Christmas, I wrote the student progress report and I made some Christmas treat for my students. Hope they're not in shock when their parents read the bad report, so I think they deserve something sweet lol... Christmas in a bottle sounds great, isn't it?

My students seem like the Christmas treat so much and some of my friends asked me curiously how did I make it? So, I decide to make this post. Crafting is one of my hobby since I was little. Scrap-booking is even better!

Are you ready? Here we go...


SUPPLIES:
1. mason jar with lid or any airtight bottle 
(I use the 100 ml glass milk bottle with rubber airtight lid.) You could use any bottle you want in various size with different lids. I bought mine in a baby store. You also could get the mason jar in Ace Hardware. The airtight one is better than normal jar. Kept the candies & chocolate in good condition, otherwise they will melt.


2. paper sticker  
Paper sticker is a paper, where one side is like a normal paper (printable with inkjet/laser printer,) and the other side is sticky like sticker. You could get the paper sticker in normal bookstore, like Gramedia.


3. baker's twine (classic red - white)
Baker's twine is a stripped cute cotton strings that are used for packaging, decor, scrap-booking, and crafts projects (made in USA.) It's very decorative and I love it. In Indonesia, you could get it via online scrap-booking store.


4. snowman charm or little bells
Too add the Christmas breeze, you could always add some bells or charm. I use snowman charm with the bells inside. It's super cute and rings every time you shake it. Kids love it. Adults also love it. I love it. (I have to stop saying "I love it," because it began look like a McDonald campaign hahaha...)


5. circle puncher
What's a circle puncher? You could probably will understand it, when you'll see the picture below. It's used usually for card-making and scrap-booking projects. It comes in different size and shape. The most famous one is from Fiskars. Since it's not cheap, you need to choose your puncher wisely. The scrap-booking lovers are called their special puncher as a power puncher, that could be used for different purposes. Rounded or circular shape is one of the hardest shape to cut, that's why I'm so glad I have only to punch the paper. It comes in handy, when you want to have an even circle shaped paper. Of course you could always use a scissor, if you don't have a puncher.  


6. chocolate/candy
You know what they said about chocolate, right? "Communication just got sweeter with candy & chocolate..." You could always use your own combination of favors. I used combination of white peanut chocolate and pink chocolate biscuit. I find the rounded shape is better looking then flat ones.

 
7. inkjet/laser printer
8. scissors

STEPS:

1. STERILIZE THE CONTAINER
wash the jar/bottle in boiled water around 7 minutes (please wash the rubber lid separately - around 2 minutes in boiled water, then 1 days in normal water with food grade dish soap to dissolve the rubber smell.) Then let them dry.  

2. PRINT THE BEST WISHES IN PAPER STICKER
I'm inspired by the paper sticker design "may your days be merry and bright" from Sara's blog "Bitz n Giggles." The label is kind of cute, cheerful, and christmasy. I like it, because the line is particular taken from the lyrics of White Christmas song. But you could always use your own creation and adjust the size of your label, based on your circle puncher. I use the 2 inch-large circle puncher. After finish adjusting the size of your label, print it with your inkjet/laser color printer.

to download in pdf, please click HERE


3. CUT THE LABELS & STICK IT TO THE BOTTLE
After finish printing the labels in the paper sticker, please cut the label using scissors or circle puncher. Then stick it to the bottle.

4. FILL IN THE BOTTLE WITH CANDY & CHOCOLATE

5. TIE THE KNOTS & DECORATE WITH CHARM
You could tie the simple knots with baker's twine or any ribbon. Then decorate it with any charm for finishing. Tadaaaa... There's your Christmas in a bottle!

It seems complicated and a lot work to do? Naaah... not really. I enjoyed it pretty much actually. When I do some art crafts, I feel like transferring my creative energy and ideas to do something artistic and expressing myself. Seeing the face of my students and their reaction, when they've got it. It's like 10 times happier than the effort I made. When it comes to happiness, everything seems worth it.

Hope you have a jolly joyful awesome Christmas and nice holiday 2013 
and happy new year 2014!